Friday, February 8, 2008

We made it...Bwoston

Yeah, that's the closest I can get to spelling it phonetically to match the accent. We arrived last night at 6:00 pm and a friend of my sister's, Ken (whe has been wonderful to us), picked us up at the airport, took us to our hotel (the John Hancock Hotel & Conference center, which isn't nearly as charming as the pictures on their website), then took us to find a restaurant. We walked around Copley Square mall and saw stores I've only heard about. To name a few, we walked past Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany & Co., Neiman Marcus, Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Kenneth Cole, and Hugo Boss. We didn't do any shopping around in those places because we were hungry and just looking for food. But I did get a really cute pair of red stone earrings to match my necklace I got in Mexico. Cool. Then we ate at Vinny T's, an Italian restaurant.
We made it back to the hotel, unpacked a little read a little and called it a night.

We got up this morning, got ready and after finding a cab (that the hotel was supposed to have ready for us) showed up late to the first session of the interview. Luckily, our first session was sitting in on a pharmacology class with the first year PA students for 2 hours.
After that we went to a small room and were introduced to some of the program's directors and such and were also given a financial aid info session. Session is a big word for the 5 minute spill we were given. It was the shortest info session I've received so far.
Michael was with me up to that point, but then he had to go as we split into groups and were paired off with 4 interviewees, a first year student and a second year student to ask questions. We had an hour for this and we were done in about 15 minutes.
Then Michael found us and we had lunch with some first year students who were great. After that, Michael again had to find his own way as I went to a "group activity" which is some kind of wierd code name for written test. We were given a "mini GRE" of 50 questions such as: "Do these two words have a. the same meaning b. opposite meanings or c. no relation to one another?" and "If a plane travels 75 feet in 1/4 second, how far does it travel in 5 seconds?" The questions are easy enough to figure out, but, you have 12 minutes to complete the test. The we had 20 minutes to complete two short essays. First was a 62 year old man diagnosed with advanced colon cancer. He asks the attending physician not to tell his wife. The next day the wife calls in and asks how his appt went. What do you tell her? The second was discuss the role of the pituitary gland. For the record, I answered the first one well and bombed the second one. I had to google 'pituitary gland' when I got out. Nice.
Then another question and answer period with a graduate of the program who has been working for 20 years as a PA. I've never had so many opportunities to ask questions. Every session started and ended, or was entirely made up of, asking questions.

Overall, today was an unimportant day. Tomorrow are my interviews. I did learn a few things today. I am terribly unlucky. There was a girl I talked to today who interviewed and was accepted to two of the other programs I applied to. She graduated with a 3.7 (I graduated with a 3.6), she has been a CNA for 1 1/2 YEARS!! I have been an MA for 8 YEARS! YES, 8 YEARS! AND SHE WAS ACCEPTED TO TWO TOP TEN PROGRAMS IN THE NATION THAT I DIDN'T EVEN GEN AN INTERVIEW WITH! WHERE'S THE JUSTICE? Okay, I'm done *yelling*, and I'm getting over it. Kind of. Of the other 2 people I talked to, one has been an OR tech for 1-2 years (doing EKG's and drawing blood, which I've done for 8 years, if I may remind you) and the other is a massage therapist, with NO MEDICAL EXPERIENCE. Yeah, I know, I'm over it. Let's just say if I don't get in here, or anywhere, I'm calling schools and throwing tantrums.

Okay, it's late, this is long, and I'm going to bed. Tomorrow I have interviews until 12 then sight seeing in Boston! Yeah! Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Hansenblog said...

Good luck Rach...you'll do great. You go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

That's the kind of thing I don't get with PA schools! Hello?! It is so annoying. Hang in there. At least you got interviews. Good Luck. I know you'll do great.

Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath, and enjoy the trip-the rest will fall in to place. I know how you feel though I was a nurse for 9 years had a 3.7 and was in the 85th percentile on the MCAT...and I still had to go international-you'll find a way, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Hang in the Rachel!! You will find your place. You are so super that the right place will go for you! Good luck I hope your trip was great!!

Anonymous said...

Hope your interviews went well. Enjoy Boston. I was hoping we'd get up there when we went to DC last spring, but it didn't happen.

Melissa E Photography said...

Good luck with your interviews! You'll do great. And I love Bwoston!