Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Good 'Ol Days

Sorry all. I forget sometimes that Rachel is too busy to blog. So many funny things have happened over the last month. Too many to recall, but here's one I was thinking of the other night.

I haven't been able to play hardly any softball this year. I really miss it. But, Monday night I got called in as an extra. It was soooooo much fun! However, I sucked it up bad! I played right field, which is highly unusual for me. Typically I play either third, short, left or left center field positions. Mostly left. Anyway, being somewhat out of practice and I arrived late so my warm up was really insufficient, I totally missed three hits (in a row) out to right field. I ran up on the ball to try and catch it - missed - and then had to run back to the fence to pick it up and throw it to second. By which time the single turned into a triple! stupid, stupid, stupid. I think I was the determining factor in the first inning's 6 of 7 total runs. I felt like such a smuck.

The next inning I was more on my regular game. I caught 2 fly balls and headed off 3 others holding them to a single base hit. It was the busiest right field game I've ever played!!

About mid game. I felt my arm being thrown out. Then slipped on the freshly rained on grass landing in an awkward position to pick up the error. This really hurt my leg and found myself having to limp it off and stretching to fix the strained muscle. What did all this equate to? I'm turning 35 on Saturday, feeling a little old, and trying to keep in the best shape I can.

I realized after that, there will come a day (actually foreseeable) that I will have to quit trying to play sports like I'm 20 something. What a crappy realization!

No comments: