Thursday, March 4, 2010

Playing catch!

In January I did my OB/GYN rotation and I loved it. I'm worked with my OB, who delivered Sadie. She's great, and I love the staff, too. Also, I loved working with the expecting moms! This was very fun for me. The best part is the deliveries. On my first day we delivered a 7 lb 9 oz little girl. I got to scrub in and stand right next to the doctor while she delivered the baby. The next day, we delivered another little girl, 5 lbs 1 oz, and this time I helped! She told me where to put my hands to help mom deliver and I said okay, then she said, "No, put your hands here." So I did and the head was delivered. She helped me get a grip on her head while she delivered the body, but I got to catch her coming out! I continued to hold the baby while the doctor suctioned her nose and mouth and dad cut the cord, then I set her in the blanket and the nurse wrapped her and gave her to mom. It was so cool!! Here she is...

I'd say this is for sure where I'm going to end up, but as a PA I most likely wouldn't deliver babies. And the thought of doing nothing but pap smears the rest of my life doesn't really excite me....
We'll see.... =)
Last month I rotated in Cardiology and that was fun, too. I learned a lot about reading EKGs which is why I wanted to be there. I wasn't very good at it before. My preceptor and the nurses we worked with in the hospital were all very cool, too.
On Monday I started my rotation in the ER. I was very intimidated by this. I have always worked in clinics and the speed and severity of problems really scares me. For the first three shifts I worked nights, and it was relatively slow, so I think that was a good introduction. I worked 6pm-2am Monday night, then 12am-7am the last two nights. That wreaks havoc on your body I'll tell you what. I wasn't nearly as tired at work as I thought I would be, but more tired at home, even after sleeping until 1-2 in the afternoon. And I'm hungry and not hungry at weird times. Crazy. It hasn't been too bad so far and I hope by saying that I'm not jinxing myself!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're enjoying the rounds. That ER schedule sounds horrendous though. I think I would fall asleep.

ameliaharris99 said...

How incredibly exciting to right there catching the newborn! :) Sounds like you are one busy woman! :)

Adam and Debbie said...

I think you would be a great OB! I don't know what all a PA can do, but if you go a place like Soda Springs, you do pretty much everything. You're probably not a small town girl, but there'd be great opportunities for you in a small town. Good luck with the ER rotation.

Jessica said...

good catch! she's a cutie.