Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hey, Hey I am Monkey!

Grease Monkey that is.

Okay, most of you won't get this blog title. There was a sitcom featuring a band called the Monkey's when I was growing up that I watched a lot. Consequently, the sitcom made the band that went on instead of the other way around. This is part of the chorus line in the opener song/jingle.

So, being unemployed I find plenty of ways to keep myself busy. Or rather people find plenty of ways to keep me busy. "Fix the van" was a chore I had been given by Karma, my mother-in-law. This was supposed to be a simple thing, since the only thing wrong with it was the starter motor needed to be replaced. I had done this with a couple other cars I had while I was a teenager, so I didn't think much of it. Turns out there was a major adventure ahead and I didn't even know it.


First, it turns out the starter was under the driver seat. That was trick to figure out. I googled the problem and found the solution. So with directions and a picture of the starter in hand - literally - I started on the project.

It took me a few hours to get it out, but only about 30 minutes or less to put it back in. After I got the starter replaced and realized the battery was dead. So, I tried to recharge the battery, but it was toasted too. I bought a new battery put it in and started it right up. Dust and crap from almost 2 years of sitting came flying out and filled my garage. Then some whistling started. I thought it might just be the belts trying to work back in. After a couple of seconds smoke started to fill the garage and the whistling stopped. I thought, this can't be good! I used the air hose to blow out all the smoke and then checked the engine. The serpentine belt burned off. CRAP!! something else. I went back to Checker for the 3rd time that day and got a new belt. Came home and tried to figure out how to put it on. That took some time. Once I finally got it on, I tensioned it back down and started the van up. No squealing this time, then snap! the belt broke again, after just a few seconds of being on. Puzzled, I looked over the belt route and noticed a burn mark on the alternator wheel. Turns out the Alternator had seized. Great.


The tale just keeps going on like this.

1 comment:

Ashton said...

Sweet. Car repairs - that's how it always seems to go. Also, I know the theme song from the Monkees. Totally.